In October, I was lucky enough to be invited to help style a sanctuary for the amazing non-profit charity, Friends with Dignity (FWD). The charity assists men, women and children who have been affected by domestic violence and FWD help find a suitable new home for them to move into.
I was in charge of selecting all the décor and any additional items for the bedroom, living and dining rooms, bathroom and kitchenette which were all purchased and donated from the stores in the Grand Plaza. We had the luxury of being able to use up to 18 stores to purchase everything we needed.
The first room we focused on was the living and dining room. Because this area was quite compact we didn’t want to overcrowd this space. This space needed to be functional so we kept it simple yet stylish. Details of everything we used in the living room are as follows:
1. Kmart – fern, floor lamp, cushions, throw, geo candle holder, book, rug, wall shelf, pegboard, white canister
2. Dusk – candle
3. Villa 9 – Side/coffee table, faux plant
4. Target – clock,
5. The Lush Lilly – faux flowers
6. Big W – Black hexagon vase
7. Healthy life – Mist lamp
Details of everything we used in the dining room:
1. Kmart – chairs, faux plants, terra vase
2. Dusk – taper, taper candles, 3 wick candle, dish, lantern, candle in lantern
3. Target – Wall art
4. Villa 9 – Placemats, coasters, side table, clock
5. Stacks – Glasses
6. Dollars and Sense – Bowls and plates
7. Big W – Black cutlery
The second room we styled was the bedroom. This had to be my favourite room to style and everything we put into this room I wanted to put into my own home. We wanted this room to be glam and sophisticated therefore adding touches of gold. We also wanted this room to be a peaceful sanctuary. We didn’t do any bright colours, we kept it have neutral. Details on everything we used in the bedroom:
1. Big W – Ottoman, queen quilt cover set, 4 x canvases.
2. Kmart – box, cactus, bed side lamps, basket, Wellington rug, hanging shelf and cow hide
3. Villa 9 – cushions
4. Target – side tables, cushions, jewellery stand
5. TSG Tobacco Station – affirmation
6. Butterfly silver – bangles
7. Healthy Life – Salt lamp
The third room we styled was the kitchenette. It was a tiny little kitchen so we didn’t want to overdo it with too many appliances. We wanted to add a touch of greenery to this space, so we put little faux succulents underneath the chalk/peg board. Details on everything we used in the kitchen:
1. Kmart – chalkboard, fry pan, cook books
2. Villa 9 – Cook book holder, gold pear, faux plants, black canisters
3. Target – Toaster, Kettle
4. Overflow – Chopping Board, mortar and pestle
5. Healthy Life – Blender
6. Stacks – Glass canisters
The final room in the home we styled was the bathroom. I was advised to add a touch of black into this space and I came across a fabulous circle bath mat and geo bath towel which were both from Kmart. This area had no storage so I added the 3 tier trolley so that the client could put any toiletries or appliances on it. We also added the black metal wall shelf up to store any makeup or other miscellaneous items on it. Details of everything we used in this room:
1. Kmart – faux plant, metal wall shelf, 3 tier trolley, geo towel, soap dispenser, bath mat
2. Villa 9 – faux plant
3. Lush Lilly – glasshouse candle
4. Body Shop – beauty pack
Styling your home doesn’t have to cost a fortune. We mixed a lot of on trend budget pieces with more expensive home décor items. Kmart/Target and Big W have a lot of replica items instore that can be purchased at a quarter of the price you would pay to buy the original. It pays to shop around, especially if you are a budget.
Make sure to follow @addicted_to_bargains on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat for your daily bargain fix!